Saturday, April 19, 2014

Take the Plunge

14" x 22" print of original oil and canvas painting by Filipino artist Joey Velasco (2007)
After this, aware that everything was now finished, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I thirst.” (John 19:28)

What does it mean to be thirsty?

If we can still remember in our Biology subjects, to be thirsty means that the water supply in our bodies are running low and it needs to be replenished. Whenever we are thirsty, our nerves send signals in our brain that we need water. And Jesus did experience this as He hung on the cross. His brain has been receiving mixed signals from loss of water, exhaustion, pain of the nails and also blood loss.

But the words "I thirst" gives a lot more meaning that just a physical aspect.

Jesus is thirsty of our love to Him.

In the Divine Mercy Novena, Jesus revealed to Saint Faustina some of the people He is thirsty of and wants to be plunged in the ocean of His mercy. Some of these people are the priests and religious, the devout souls, the souls of children, and the souls of purgatory.

But among all the groups of people whom Jesus described to Saint Faustina, there is one group which holds so much care and affection, and He would really want to bring close to His heart: The sinners and the lukewarm people. In my previous blog, I shared that we sometimes shout and cry to God saying "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?" But most of the time, we forget that God has never forsaken us -- we are the ones who have forsaken Him. And now, Jesus reminds us that
I have not forsaken you. I am just here. I thirst so much of your love which you give to other things that never bring permanent refreshment. Remember, my child, the Samaritan woman whom I said that I am the water that refreshes and will refresh your soul.
Come to me and I will refresh you ever more, and you will never be thirsty again.
Jesus now presents us with the ocean of mercy. Are you ready to take the plunge?

No comments:

Print

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF